We could not have our “carrot week”, without preparing one of our favorite cakes. With carrots, orange juice and walnuts as some of the main ingredients, carrot cakes can be considered among the healthiest dessert options thank to its content of fiber, vitamins and healthy fats. Nevertheless, we gave into temptation with this recipe by adding some cream cheese frosting for extra deliciousness (and… calories!).
For the cake
250gr brown sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cinnamon
½ tablespoon nutmeg
Pinch of ginger
Pinch of salt
100gr chopped walnuts (plus extra for decoration)
250ml almond milk
125ml sunflower seeds oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
250gr grated carrots
The juice of half an orange
For the frosting
150gr vegan creamy cheese (at room temperature)
60gr vegan butter/margarine (at room temperature)
300-400gr powdered sugar
- Start by preparing the frosting. Whisk the butter/margarine and the creamy cheese in a bowl until creamy and smooth.
- Add powdered sugar 100gr at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Let sit in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, oil, vanilla extract, orange juice and applesauce until well combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in the big bowl and add the carrots and walnuts and stir well.
- Add the mixture to a silicone mold or a greased baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out completely clean.
- Take out and let cool
- Decorate with frosting and walnuts.