Bread pudding is a dish with old roots (historians say it dates back to the 11th and 12th century!), and it was originally one of the ways our ancestors would make the most out of stale bread leftovers, both in sweet or salty variations. This time, we have decided to try the salty version, and have not been disappointed! Classic recipes include meat and vegetables, but we made our very own vegan version using our star of the week, paired with shiitake mushrooms, vegan cheese and wholemeal bread. It is so delicious, warm and comforting; you will not be able to resist a second serving!
450gr stale wholegrain bread (10 slices)
1 big leek (200gr)
½ green pepper
150gr shiitake mushrooms
3 tablespoons flax seeds
250ml plant based milk
1 ½ tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
10 slices vegan cheddar cheese (100gr)
1 tbsp thyme
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
Salt to taste
Margarine and Olive Oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC.
- In a small bowl, pour the flax seeds in 14 tablespoons of water, mix well and let sit in the fridge.
- Spread a thin coat of margarine on each slice of bread and then cut into bite-size cubes.
- Spread the cubes on a baking tray covered with parchment paper and bake until crispy and golden 15- 20 minutes).
- Chop the leek, pepper and mushrooms and warm up a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pan.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and sauté (about 20-30 minutes) adding the spices at half cooking.
- Meanwhile, remove the croutons from the oven and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the milk, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard and add salt to taste.
- Cut up 8 slices of cheddar in small pieces and add to the pan to melt evenly with the vegetables.
- Grease the baking tray with margarine and add half of the croutons.
- Add half of the milk mixture and let soak for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cheese and the remaining croutons on top.
- Pour the remaining milk and press the ingredients, assuring that all the liquid is absorbed evenly.
- Spread the remaining 2 slices of cheddar in small pieces on top of the pudding.
- Let rest 15 minutes and put in the oven.
- Cook for 50 minutes approximately. Remove from oven and serve.